How To Play Baccarat Like a Pro
Mastering the rules of Baccarat can up your winning chances to over 28%. See our guide to know all the rules that may turn you into a Baccarat pro in no time!
- Baccarat Game Cards and Hands Value
- How to Play Baccarat Like an Expert
- What Different Bets Can You Make in Baccarat?
- How to Make a Baccarat Bet?
- Learn the Ins and Outs of Baccarat Draw Rules
- Why Baccarat Is a Casino Favorite Worldwide
Baccarat Game Cards and Hands Value
Cards are valued differently in Baccarat.
- 10s, jack, queen and king are worth zero, meaning they have no point value
- Aces are low or worth 1 point
- All other cards from 2 through 9 are worth their face or pip value
The game does not support joker cards, and its suite of cards has no relevance to the game, according to Baccarat rules. The same numbers can come up at different times since the game is usually played with a shoe of six to eight packs.
Baccarat rules are straightforward. Hands are valued and added together based on the unit digit of the sum of their cards.
If the total number equals more than 9, for instance, 15, you only need to deduct 10 or remove the first number to arrive at a number lesser than 9. In this case, the final number is 5.
How to Play Baccarat Like an Expert
- Always bet on the banker. Pays 1:1 and has a favourable house edge of 1:06 percent.
- Avoid the tie bet if you don’t have a sizable bankroll.
- Keep betting on banker until it loses.
- Manage your time and money.
- Don’t chase your losses.
- Use proven Baccarat gambling strategies.
What Is the Goal of the Game?
The game’s goal is to have the hand you are betting on be the best hand of the round, according to Baccarat rules. The successful hand is the one whose total adds up closest to nine. You can either bet on the dealer, the player’s hand or a tie.
First, the dealer deals two cards face-up on each part of the table for both player and banker. Points are then calculated depending on the Baccarat rules, and whichever hand is closest to nine wins.
If your bet is on the player’s hand and it wins, you will get a payout twice the amount of your initial bet.
Keep in Mind
Baccarat rules state that if you bet on a banker and succeed, you will receive 95% of your wager. As we have explained earlier, if the two cards you were dealt are higher than 9, you would need to add them up and deduct 10 to get the correct value.
However, if the round results in a tie and there is no tie bet, all bets at the Baccarat table will push, meaning you can remove your bet or double it.
How a Baccarat Round Normally Works
A round of Baccarat is usually played between a player and the dealer. They both receive two cards, and the hand with the closest total to nine wins the bet.
The dealer requires all bets to be placed on the table to start the round, as per Baccarat rules. Players bet on whether they or the banker will have the winning hand. Alternatively, players can bet that the game will result in a tie.
The natural win is when the first cards total 8 or 9. The lucky hand with the points is declared the winner of the round.
A natural of 8 points is called “la petite”, while nine is called “la grande”. The game ends a tie if both hands – player and dealer – have naturals.
Understand When a Third Card is Drawn
If neither hand has a natural, the dealer and banker draw a third card each to determine the winner. However, the drawing of additional cards depends on specific laid-down rules for players and bankers.
The Third Card Player Baccarat Rules
In a game of Baccarat, the player always goes first, including when picking a third card.
As per the Baccarat rules, their hand always stands if the hand total is 6 or 7.
If a player opening hand total is lesser than 6 (0 to 5), they draw a third card – unless a banker is 8 or 9, which means the latter wins, and that’s the end of the round.
Banker Third Card Rules
- If the dealer’s hands total 0-2, the dealer draws unless players show a natural 8 or 9
- The banker will stand with 5-7 and draw with 0–4 should a player draw two or three on the third turn
- A banker draws with 0–5 and stands with 6–7 in case the player drew a four or five
- Should a player’s third card be six or seven, banker will draw with 0–6 & will stand with 7
- If a player draws an eight or 9, banker draws with 0–2 & stands with 3–7
- In case players draw an Ace, 9, 10, or face-card, bankers will draw with 0–3 and will stand with 4–7
What Different Bets Can You Make in Baccarat?
The three main bets in Baccarat are:
Baccarat gambling games come in several variants, mainly developed by reputable online providers for live games. For instance, on the newest Playtech casinos UK, you at least find it in its Prestige or the classic version. Nonetheless, these bets apply to any version of Baccarat.
You make a banker bet by staking that it is a banker or dealer’s hand to win. A banker bet pays 1:1, the double of a player’s wager. However, the Baccarat rules impose that the house deducts a 5% commission from winning bets.
For instance, if you bet £30 and win, you will get £28.5 in winnings. It should have been £30, but the house automatically deducts 5% as a commission (£1.5). Add your initial wager to the winnings, and your total payout would be £58.5
Banker Bet gets its edge over other bets from the drawing strategy for the banker’s hand, allowing the banker to draw only a third time should a player draw.
It is considered the most favourable bet in Baccarat because of its great odds of winning and low house edge at 1.06 percent.
This entails wagering on your hand to win. If it has a natural or is closer to 9, you win your bet. This bet pays 1:1 or even twice the amount of your initial bet.
For example, if you bet with £10 and win, you will win £10, bringing your total payout to £20. You don’t pay any commission on the winnings of a player bet, so you get all your money.
Player edge has a 1.24 percent house edge and is analyzed by experts to win 46% of the time. Although it is not as lucrative as banker’s bet, it is also a good bet while playing Baccarat.
You expect players and bankers to tie the hand by placing a tie bet. The bet has a massive payout of 8:1. For example, let’s say you bet £20, and it wins; you stand a chance of winning £160.
However, the tie bet is considered the riskiest bet in Baccarat. This is because the odds of a tie do not favour players. The tie bet has a high house edge of 15%.
How to Make a Baccarat Bet?
You must understand the layout of a Baccarat table before you start betting on it. All ables, whether mini or standard full size, share these general Baccarat rules:
- Player betting area: this is the closest area to you, if you play
- Banker area: it is next after first area we mentioned
- Tie betting area: this is after the banker area and is the closest one to the centre.
- Chips and commission boxes: these are always in front of the dealer
To start playing, place a bet in one of the areas mentioned above.
Learn the Ins and Outs of Baccarat Draw Rules
There are two sets of Baccarat rules:
- General Baccarat rules that determine the winner
- Baccarat draw rules
The Baccarat draw rules explain how, if and when a third card should be dealt after the two initial cards have produced no winner.
If a player:
- Has a cards total of 8 or a 9, they and bankers will stand; this is true when bankers have an 8 or 9 total
- Has 6 or 7, they stand
- Stands, bankers should hit on a 5 total or less.
- Has a sum equal to 5 or less, they hit and receive a third turn from bankers
- Gets the third card, the banker will also draw a third card
In the last situation, the Baccarat draw rules state that the game may continue in different ways, depending on a banker’s cards total. If their total is 0, 1, 2, a banker always has a third turn at drawing a card.
However, they will draw, should their total be:
- 3, if a player’s third card 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-9-0 (not 8)
- 4, if player’s third card is 2-3-4-5-6-7
- 5, if player’s outcome on the third draw is 4-5-6-7
- 6, if player’s outcome on the third draw is 6-7
Should a banker’s total be 7, they always stand.
Why Baccarat Is a Casino Favorite Worldwide
The game is many players’ favourite because of its low house edge, excellent chances of winning and relatively simple strategy. You will find this game available in all the latest top online casinos UK.