Using the Gamstop Self-Exclusion Scheme - In-depth Guide
Feeling like gambling started to take a toll on your day-to-day life? The GamStop self-exclusion program has your back. This service blocks betting sites to help you regain control. Take charge of your health and funds!
- How To Quit Bad Gambling Habits? – The GamStop Self-Exclusion Program
- How To Self-Exclude From Gambling With GamStop?
- What Can You Do If GamStop Doesn’t Work?
- Which Are The GamStop Contact Channels In The UK?
- How Does The GamStop API Work? – The Advanced Filtering System For Marketing Lists
- What Are The Best GamStop Casinos In The UK?
- What Makes The GamStop Self-Exclusion Program So Helpful?
How To Quit Bad Gambling Habits? – The GamStop Self-Exclusion Program
GamStop enables UK players to temporarily stop their online casino access without requiring any fee. Over 50000 people have enrolled and successfully blocked their gambling activities from UKGC-licenced online casino sites and gambling apps.
Starting from 31st March 2020, all online operators licensed by the UKGC, except for lotteries, are required to be a member of GamStop, which allows all British gamblers to self-exclude from all platforms within a few minutes.
Can It Change My Mind If I Don’t Want to Quit Gambling?
While it may not seem so, changing your mind is possible.
Players who frequently gamble, particularly those with gambling addiction, aren’t usually convinced by the safety argument.
GamStop offers more than just safety: it is an excellent tool for players who want to save money, especially if they’re going to make investments or pay debts.
It’s also practical for those who need a break but aren’t motivated enough to take it.
Using GamStop doesn’t require anyone to quit gambling indefinitely, but rather it allows gamblers to step back and observe both their gambling habits and how they affect their lives.
How To Self-Exclude From Gambling With GamStop?
- Access the GamStop platform.
- Click on the ‘Get Started’ button, which is right below the ‘Register today’ one.
- To sign up, provide your personal e-mail address and confirm your account.
- Now that your account has been created, the site will ask you for personal details to successfully block your access to gambling platforms.
GamStop recommends offering as much personal information as possible. This way, the self-exclusion process will be more straightforward, and the operator will be able to restrict your access to all online casinos you’ve ever played on.
Complete List of the Personal Details You Need to Provide for GamStop
- Current address and postcode, as well as any postcode from previous residences you lived in;
- Date of birth;
- Any current or previously used phone numbers;
- Any email addresses that you currently used or have used in the past.
I signed up for an account on GamStop. Now what?
Once you have successfully confirmed your account via email, you will receive an additional email containing additional information to help you deal with your gambling addiction.
However, the self-exclusion program usually takes 24 hours or less to become active.
Once you activate GamStop, you will be restricted from gambling activities at all licensed casinos in the United Kingdom.
Measures Activated by GamStop Once Verifying Your Account
- Self-exclusion via GamStop lasts at least 6 months, 1 year, or 5 years, depending on the option you’ve selected during registration.
- During this time, you will not be able to cancel your exclusion until the minimum exclusion period specified has passed.
- When your minimum exclusion time has expired, you will have to contact GamStop via phone to request removal, or it will remain in place until you do so.
If you want to use your GamStop membership, set up your account correctly and update it when you change personal information such as your address or phone number.
Be advised that self-exclusion on GamStop will not automatically trigger the return of your withdrawable funds from the casino operators where you still have active accounts.
GamStop takes no responsibility for returning funds, so you will have to do it manually.
For more info, our article on responsible gambling can help you prevent spending more money than you should and avoid viewing the casino as a primary source of income.
Keep in mind that GamStop can only be accessed by United Kingdom users.
What Can You Do If GamStop Doesn’t Work?
While GamStop and the UKGC are working hard on delivering a high-quality service to those in need, there might be situations in which players who have self-excluded will be able to gamble without confirming their identity.
Online casino operators are responsible for ensuring that these situations are kept down by implementing agreements to prevent them.
If you ever find yourself gambling in an anonymous environment while you’re on the GamStop self-exclusion list, it’s essential to inform the operator.
How does this help me?
By doing this, you could help them identify weaknesses in their procedures and improve them.
You can also notify the UKGC directly, as it can provide valuable information regarding potential weak spots in their system.
Complete List of Information You Need to Provide for Them to Consider Your Request
- The date you joined the GamStop self-exclusion service;
- How you inform the operator that you want to self-exclude;
- The casino’s confirmation that the self-exclusion was activated;
- The period you wanted to self-exclude for the exact dates you were able to play in the casino even if you thought that you were self-excluded;
- Any details regarding communication you’ve had with the company since you gambled with them.
All the details you provide will be used to determine if it’s a regulatory compliance issue or a system error.
However, you won’t obtain any refund for money spent on gambling, so requesting it in your complaint won’t help you.
In addition to joining GamStop, players can also install software that restricts access to gambling sites.
Which Are The GamStop Contact Channels In The UK?
- Phone: 0800 138 6518, available 7 days a week between 10 am and 8 pm;
- Email: [email protected];
- Live chat: available 7 days a week between 10 am and 8 pm;
- Form: available on their contact page.
If you need additional help with your registration or want to update your self-exclusion period, you can reach the GamStop customer support team via one any of the channels listed above.
We highly suggest the live chat for situations requiring more specific solutions, like when GamStop is not working on a particular gaming platform.
Our experience tells us that their answers are prompt and that they’ll offer a solution within minutes.
How Does The GamStop API Work? – The Advanced Filtering System For Marketing Lists
API is an acronym for Application Programming interface, representing a software component that acts as an intermediary, allowing apps to communicate with each other. To facilitate the self-exclusion process, the organisation developed GamStop API.
This software is responsible for filtering casino operators’ marketing lists and blocking the enrolled users from all ongoing SMS and email campaigns.
To comply with the UKGC regulations, all online casinos must link to GamStop, incorporating the API into their system.
Requirements Online Casinos Must Complete to Conduct Marketing List Filtering
- The operator has to integrate GamStop API, thus making a list of all marketing resources from a preset data setup.
- The list is subsequently added to the program’s database.
- The organisation checks the entries and validates the request. GamStop analyses the data and looks for matching records.
- Once the database is correctly sorted, the self-exclusion entries are compared with the rest of the data.
- The operator receives a notification of the modifications in the database and will get access to the system, allowing them to download and analyse the modified data.
But why would you care about all these technical details?
Well, the main benefit of knowing about GamStop API is that you have a complete understanding of what happens to your personal information once you’ve signed up for the service.
If you’re still receiving text messages or emails after enrolling in GamStop, make sure you notify the customer service team via one of the available channels.
The organisation will analyse your case and check whether that operator complies with the self-exclusion requirements.
This marketing list filtering system will eliminate any external factors so you can safely take a break from unwanted addictive gambling behaviour.
What Are The Best GamStop Casinos In The UK?
At KingCasinoBonus, casino player safety is our number one priority.
Thus, our experts compiled lists of the best UK online casinos that are dependable and facilitate safety measures against addiction.
Most online casinos we review are members of GamStop. They generally use highly performant security tools that protect you from irresponsible gambling behaviours.
To quickly identify casinos that are part of GamStop, we suggest scrolling down to the footer on their main page. If the GamStop logo is visible in the footer, the operator collaborates directly with the self-exclusion organisation.
What Makes The GamStop Self-Exclusion Program So Helpful?
Sometimes, you might feel overwhelmed by your casino losses and need a break. We teamed up with a psychologist to address the issues of addictive gambling behaviour and find out precisely what happens in the gambler’s brain.
Based on our experts’ analysis, the GamStop self-exclusion program is the optimal method of preventing compulsive gambling and overspending.
While this does not involve a permanent ban, it can at least help you better manage your playtime at online casinos in the future.